2223-0182 – New River College Improvement
Main contract details
• New River College is a small school on a constrained site in the Archway area of Islington.
• The school is for secondary age pupils with social, emotional and mental health needs.
• Over recent years, the number of pupils being referred to this school has increased, and this – along with the aging of the school building – has led to a need for the school to be refurbished and extended.
• The existing school facility consists of the following:
o a single-storey Victorian building with a central hall and classrooms around the perimeter;
o a series of dilapidated single-storey extensions to the side and rear of the Victorian construction;
o an uninspiring school yard with astroturf and tarmac surfaces, and limited planting.
• The scope for the construction works is as follows:
o refurbish the Victorian building to provide contemporary school accommodation;
o demolish the current extensions and construct a new, wrap-around single-storey extension to increase and improve the facilities offered at the school;
o re-landscape the external area to create an attractive garden and outdoor sports zone which will facilitate a range of activities for the pupils;
o connect the school’s new heating system to the Ground Source Heat Pump which has recently been installed on site.
• The desired outcome: to create a school facility which meets contemporary building standards (including improved environmental credentials) as well as providing a top-class setting for some of the borough’s more vulnerable young people, giving them the best possible opportunity to thrive.
• Islington Council is seeking a Building Contractor to carry out the aforementioned improvement works to New River College.
• This Building Contractor will act as the main contractor, and will appoint subcontractors as needed.
• This Building Contractor will also take on the role of Principal Contractor under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015).
• Note that the form of contract will be the JCT Design and Build contract.
This contract is not being divided into lots because the whole contract shall be delivered by one main contractor.
TUPE [Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations]
Potential providers must be aware that TUPE may or may not apply to this service. Further details will be available in the invitation to tender.
The duration will be approximately 9 months from an estimated start date of February 2024. Contractors to advise on construction programme.
The estimated total value of the works is £3million, however the council is confident we will receive bids under this value.
The contract will be awarded to the Most Economically Advantageous Tender (MEAT) in accordance with the Public Contracts Regulations.
MEAT for this contract:
Quality made up of:
20% - Proposed approach to social value
20% - Proposed methodology
15% - Quality assurance and project management
5% - Proposed approach to health and safety on site
Further details will be provided in the invitation to tender.
As the value of the contract is above the threshold for wider advertising of the opportunity, a Contract Notice will be published on Contracts Finder.
This contract will be procured using the Open Procedure. The Open Procedure means that all bidders who successfully express an interest will automatically be invited to tender and have access to the tender documents. Those who submit a tender and meet the minimum requirements will have their full tender, method statements and pricing evaluated.
Expression of interest window
From 07/12/2023 11:00 to 05/02/2024 11:59